On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 9:17 AM Rob Crittenden <rcrit...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Nicholas Hinds wrote:
> > I tried running `sudo service named-pkcs11 stop` before the yum update,
> > but FreeIPA still returned NXDOMAIN responses temporarily.
>
> You want the service named.

That service does not exist in my FreeIPA installation:
$ sudo service named status
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status named.service
● named.service
   Loaded: masked (/dev/null; bad)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Running `sudo service named stop` gives no output, and running `sudo ipactl
status` afterwards shows that "named" is still running:
$ sudo service named stop
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl stop named.service
$ sudo ipactl status
Directory Service: RUNNING
krb5kdc Service: RUNNING
kadmin Service: RUNNING
named Service: RUNNING
httpd Service: RUNNING
ipa-custodia Service: RUNNING
ntpd Service: RUNNING
pki-tomcatd Service: RUNNING
smb Service: RUNNING
winbind Service: RUNNING
ipa-otpd Service: RUNNING
ipa-dnskeysyncd Service: RUNNING
ipa: INFO: The ipactl command was successful

If I stop named-pkcs11, `sudo ipactl status` shows that "named" is stopped:
$ sudo service named-pkcs11 stop
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl stop named-pkcs11.service
$ sudo ipactl status
Directory Service: RUNNING
krb5kdc Service: RUNNING
kadmin Service: RUNNING
named Service: STOPPED
httpd Service: RUNNING
ipa-custodia Service: RUNNING
ntpd Service: RUNNING
pki-tomcatd Service: RUNNING
smb Service: RUNNING
winbind Service: RUNNING
ipa-otpd Service: RUNNING
ipa-dnskeysyncd Service: RUNNING
ipa: INFO: The ipactl command was successful

So at least on my machine, stopping the OS service "named-pkcs11" stops
"named" for FreeIPA.

> > It seems like these responses occur about 10 seconds after the last log
> > entry in /var/log/ipaupgrade.log ("The ipa-server-upgrade command was
> > successful"). Based on the IPA "posttrans" script from the RPM, it seems
> > likely the NXDOMAIN responses are being returned while the
> > `/bin/systemctl restart ipa.service` command is running, however I
> > cannot reproduce the NXDOMAIN responses by running `/bin/systemctl
> > restart ipa.service` on its own. Something in the yum upgrade or
> > ipa-server-upgrade process seems to trigger this different behaviour.
>
> As I said, by default right now bind remains running while its backend,
> 389-ds, is unavailable during the package update process. The ipa
> service doesn't reproduce this because of the order in which the
> services are restarted.

If I stop the "ipa" service then start only bind ("named-pkcs11"), so the
backend isn't running, DNS queries return the "SERVFAIL" status rather than
"NXDOMAIN", which makes sense to me. They also do not return any authority
information. It does not appear that bind returns "NXDOMAIN" with incorrect
authority information if its backend is completely unavailable when it
starts.

If I start the "ipa" service and attempt to stop all of its components
apart from bind/named one by one (ipa-dnskeysyncd, winbind, smb, ntpd,
ipa-custodia, httpd, kadmin, krb5kdc, pki-tomcatd@pki-tomcat,
dirsrv@MY-DOMAIN), the DNS server continues to correctly respond to DNS
queries. This could be because I have a pair of replicated FreeIPA
instances, and once bind/named starts it knows how to query from the
secondary server? Although stopping FreeIPA on my second server does not
stop DNS queries from being answered - perhaps bind has just cached the
response for the test query I am using. Either way, stopping all of these
services including dirsrv (which I believe is the 389-ds backend process)
does not result in "NXDOMAIN" responses with incorrect authority
information.