I have FreeIPA and Active Directory on our network and am attempting to follow
the [ https://www.freeipa.org/page/Active_Directory_trust_setup | official
instructions ] for getting a trust set up.

I'm down to the section where I run ipa trust-add to set up the trust. I've set
up and verified DNS forwarding on both ends.

Here is the output I'm stuck on:

[root@ipa2 conf.d]# ipa -v trust-add --type ad ad.mimsoftware.com --admin
Administrator --password
ipa: INFO: trying https://ipa2.mimsoftware.com/ipa/json
ipa: INFO: [try 1]: Forwarding 'schema' to json server
'https://ipa2.mimsoftware.com/ipa/json'
ipa: INFO: trying https://ipa2.mimsoftware.com/ipa/session/json
Active Directory domain administrator's password:
ipa: INFO: [try 1]: Forwarding 'trust_add/1' to json server
'https://ipa2.mimsoftware.com/ipa/session/json'
ipa: ERROR: an internal error has occurred

Any ideas where to begin troubleshooting? If I try this same process in the
browser interface, it throws an error:

"AD DC was unable to reach any IPA domain controller. Most likely it is a DNS
or firewall issue"

However, I've verified that it can't be DNS. What about firewall configuration
on the Windows end? The official instructions just say "to be added."

---
Justin Smith
IT Analyst
MIM Software, Inc.