On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 12:39:00PM +0100, Ray via FreeIPA-users wrote:

> Am 2017-11-21 11:51, schrieb Jakub Hrozek via FreeIPA-users:

> > > I'm running FreeIPA 4.5 with four repicas on CentOS 7. No AD around
> > > anywhere.
> > >
> > > Server version: ipa-server-4.5.0-21.el7.centos.2.2.x86_64
> > >
> > > Another weird thing is that I was able to log in without issues on
> > > the same
> > > client when my daughter couldn't. My account comes from the same
> > > group of
> > > FreeIPA Servers/replicas.
> >
> > Hm, I was asking because there used to be some issues with readin
> > unixHomeDirectory from AD Global Catalog, which manifested as randomly
> > removing the home directory value..but that's not the case for you I
> > guess..
> >
> > Is the issue reproducable? Does "getent passwd $username" show "/" as
> > the homedir?
>
> The "/" as homedir is easily explained: when then homedir is no exitsting,
> users get "/" as their home directory.

You mean not existing (or accessible I guess in this case) on the filesystem
level, as in, getent passwd $username would show the real username, but you
can't cd there?

Then yes, I agree. Sorry, I was focusing on the narrow case where the
nsswitch wouldn't report the correct homedir in the first place..

> In my daughter's case, the ticket she
> initially got was not fit to grant NFS access to her access home directory,
> this is why she ended up in "/".
>
> The actual question for me is: how come there was an issue with the ticket
> in the first place? After fetching a new ticket with kinit, everything
> worked as expected, i.e., the ticket she received during login was invalid.

What exactly do you mean by 'ticket was not fit'? What was the klist output
when she logged in? Was the ticket by chance expired or even from the start
of the UNIX epoch?