I tried a fresh install with the same result.  The new replica install process
completes successfully but it does not register as a master.  When I look at
the replication status via ipa-replica-manage it shows this:

# ipa-replica-manage list -v ipa8.domain.tld
Directory Manager password:

ipa1.domain.tld: replica
  last init status: None
  last init ended: 1970-01-01 00:00:00+00:00
  last update status: Error (3) Replication error acquiring replica: Unable to
acquire replica: permission denied. The bind dn does not have permission to
supply replication updates to the replica. Will retry later. (permission denied)
  last update ended: 1970-01-01 00:00:00+00:00

When I try to create a new replication agreement via ipa-replica-manage connect
I get this message:

# ipa-replica-manage connect ipa4.domain.tld
Directory Manager password:

Connection unsuccessful: ipa4.domain.tld is an IPA Server, but it might be
unknown, foreign or previously deleted one.

I saw this article:
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/2988311

I checked all my replicas and they show:
$ ldapsearch -o ldif-wrap=no -D "cn=directory manager" -W -b "cn=replication
managers,cn=sysaccounts,cn=etc,dc=domain,dc=tld"
Enter LDAP Password:
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <cn=replication managers,cn=sysaccounts,cn=etc,dc=domain,dc=tld> with
scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# replication managers, sysaccounts, etc, domain.tld
dn: cn=replication managers,cn=sysaccounts,cn=etc,dc=domain,dc=tld
member:
krbprincipalname=ldap/ipa2.domain....@domain.tld,cn=services,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=tld
member:
krbprincipalname=ldap/ipa4.domain....@domain.tld,cn=services,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=tld
member:
krbprincipalname=ldap/ipa7.domain....@domain.tld,cn=services,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=tld
member:
krbprincipalname=ldap/ipa3.domain....@domain.tld,cn=services,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=tld
member:
krbprincipalname=ldap/ipa5.domain....@domain.tld,cn=services,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=tld
member:
krbprincipalname=ldap/ipa6.domain....@domain.tld,cn=services,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=tld
member:
krbprincipalname=ldap/ipa1.domain....@domain.tld,cn=services,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=tld
member:
krbprincipalname=ldap/ipa8.domain....@domain.tld,cn=services,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=tld

I also checked this on the new server:

# ldapsearch -xLLL -D "cn=directory manager" -W -b "cn=config" "(cn=replica)"
nsds5replicabinddngroup nsds5replicabinddngroupcheckinterval
Enter LDAP Password:
dn: cn=replica,cn=dc\3Ddomain\2Cdc\3Dtld,cn=mapping tree,cn=config
nsds5replicabinddngroup: cn=replication
managers,cn=sysaccounts,cn=etc,dc=domain,dc=tld
nsds5replicabinddngroupcheckinterval: 60

dn: cn=replica,cn=o\3Dipaca,cn=mapping tree,cn=config
nsds5replicabinddngroup: cn=replication
managers,cn=sysaccounts,cn=etc,dc=domain,dc=tld
nsds5replicabinddngroupcheckinterval: 60

On the other 4.x IPA servers (all non CA replicas) it showed the first stanza
like above and on the 3.x servers it only had:
$ ldapsearch -o ldif-wrap=no -xLLL -D "cn=directory manager" -W -b "cn=config"
"(cn=replica)" nsds5replicabinddngroup nsds5replicabinddngroupcheckinterval
Enter LDAP Password:
dn: cn=replica,cn=dc\3Ddomain\2Cdc\3Dtld,cn=mapping tree,cn=config

Anything else I should verify as well that might lead to a solution?

Thanks!