Hi folks,

some ipa servers in my environment are not permitted to change
the clock. If I use "systemctl mask ntpd" to avoid the "degraded"
returned by "systemctl status", then ipactl fails without the
ntpd service:

# ipactl restart
Stopping pki-tomcatd Service
Restarting Directory Service
Restarting krb5kdc Service
Restarting kadmin Service
Restarting httpd Service
Restarting ipa-custodia Service
Restarting pki-tomcatd Service
Restarting ipa-otpd Service
Starting ntpd Service
Failed to start ntpd Service
Shutting down
Hint: You can use --ignore-service-failure option for forced start in case that
a non-critical service failed
Aborting ipactl

If I unmask ntpd, then systemctl status returns "degrarded" again,
but ipa is fine.

The option "--ignore-service-failures" ignores *all* service
failures. I wonder how I can tell freeipa to ignore ntpd and
rely upon sysvinit or systemd to start it, if necessary?

Every helpful comment is highly appreciated.
Harri