> On 23 Jan 2018, at 14:44, Rob Crittenden via FreeIPA-users
> <freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org
> <mailto:freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org>> wrote:
>
> But why?
>
> Is it because the hardware is so cheap? Is it better/easier/cheaper than
> running it in a VM on an existing box? Is it merely for the "fun" factor
> (and I'm not disparaging it, I do lots of things just to see if it can
> be done).
>
> rob

There are a couple of applications actually, I’m currently trying to build an
access control system based on an IPA replica that runs *on* the door, using
the existing replication mechanisms. This way, even if networking is down, as
long as the door has power, I can open it.

--
Aljaž Srebrnič a.k.a g5pw
My public key:  https://g5pw.me/key <https://g5pw.me/key>