On 2/6/2018 12:34 AM, Jochen Hein via FreeIPA-users wrote:
John Ratliff via FreeIPA-users <freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org>
writes:

Okay, so the problem wasn't that it wasn't working; it's that I didn't
understand the prompts. Debian only prompts for password, but wants
password + OTP on the same field. CentOS prompts for First Factor /
Second Factor.

Is there any way I can make it so that on Debian clients it asks for
the factors separately as well?

Can you please look at /etc/pam.d?  Debian uses pam_unix to get the
password+OTP, CentOS/Fedora use pam_sss for non-local users.  I've added
the following to /usr/share/pam-configs and use that instead of pam_unix
and pam_sss.

Thanks. This made it work.