On 03/09/2018 09:41 AM, Roderick Johnstone via FreeIPA-users wrote:
Hi

I'm using migration mode (ipa config-mod --enable-migration=true) to help migrate from one freeipa instance to another.

I wasn't able to find any docs on what enabling migration mode actually does, exactly.

Can anyone supply details please?

Thanks.

Roderick Johnstone

Hi,

the migration mode allows to add an entry with a pre-hashed password.

When this mode is disabled, this operation would be refused because IPA needs a clear-text password in order to run password policy checks and generate kerberos keys.

HTH,
Flo