On ke, 11 huhti 2018, Mike Manfredi via FreeIPA-users wrote:
I noticed in FreeIPA is that it looks like the directory
infrastructure is flat. There is no tree, or no way to make OUs.

When I look at other solutions like openLDAP and 389 Directory server.
It has the ability to do trees.

Which makes me wonder if, FreeIPA is using 389 Directory server, why is
it flat. Is there a way to make it more flexible, or do I have to find
other solutions?

If it's better than having a tree and make multiple OUs, can you please
tell me why?
I would point you to a thread (almost) 10 years ago:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2008-July/msg00042.html

:)

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy