On ma, 14 touko 2018, Andrew Meyer via FreeIPA-users wrote:
Hello,I am trying to add a new user to another group.  This group was
setup for another user.  When I create the user is seems to do the same
thing as when I create them on a local system.  I get a User and a
group for the user as well.  However when I go to add another user to
that newly created group I can't find it.  If I go to create the group
with the same name FIPA says its already created.    Any reason its
doing this?  Am I doing something wrong?
I am running CentOS 7.4, FreeIPA 4.5.x.
By what you describe you are dealing with user private groups. The
concept of a user private group is that it is automatically managed
for the user -- it has the same GID as that user's UID, you cannot
create a group with the same name manually and so on. It is not supposed
to be used for *other* users.

If you really are willing to use that group for other purposes, you need
to disassociate the group from the original user:

$ ipa help group-detach
Usage: ipa [global-options] group-detach GROUP-NAME [options]

Detach a managed group from a user.
 -h, --help  show this help message and exit

See RHEL IdM doucmentation.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html-single/linux_domain_identity_authentication_and_policy_guide/#user-private-groups

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy