For anyone that comes across this post, I figured out what happened and why
this stopped working.

Early on when deploying FreeIPA and building the AD trust, I had figured out by
nesting AD group via ext_group into idM local Admin group and then creating ID
View overrides for said AD accounts ( no need to specify any specific posix
user override values) it would pass kerberos (kbtgt) auth via  auth header when
using the IPA API from the CLI.

During some clean-up I had removed those ID View user overrides; thus creating
my own issue. :-(

Re-creating the ID View override entries for the AD users fixed the issue. You
can also see the successful 200 POST from the AD user in
/var/log/httpd/access_log