On ma, 25 kesä 2018, Chris Dagdigian via FreeIPA-users wrote:
Dealing with outsourced IT organization that manages an AD domain we are tying to build an additional trust with so we can upgrade and replace our fleet of IDM servers.

We got a webex work session going with a domain admin to build the trust but we keep seeing this on the CLI and WebUI:

ipa: ERROR: Insufficient access: CIFS server XXXXXX.COMPANY.COM denied your credentials

Running in debug or verbose mode does not reveal more error details and I can't find much in the logs on the IPA server

The AD admin we were working with claims he used an account that is part of the Enterprise Admin group and thus should be allowed to do "all the things" -- they are asking for any docs or details we have on what permissions the IPA server needs when trust building

Looking for info/tips on the following, thanks!

1) Any log locations or places where I can find more info about why the ad-trust setup failed?
You have three locations where you can set increased debug info:
- A debug for IPA framework on the server side: /etc/ipa/server.conf
  (create the file if not existing):
  [global]
   debug = True

- A debug for client-side Samba libraries in IPA framework:
  /usr/share/ipa/smb.conf.empty:
  [global]
   log level = 10

- Increase of log level for Samba on IPA master:
  net conf setparm global 'log level' 10
  net conf setparm global 'maxlogsize' 0

The first will get log level increased in /var/log/httpd/error_log,
needs restart of httpd: systemctl restart httpd

The second one will get increased log details during 'ipa trust-add'
logged to /var/log/httpd/error_log. No need to restart httpd as that
file is read by 'ipa trust-add' dynamically.

The third part is crucial when you get messages like 'CIFS server denied
your credentials'. If there is no server name in the message or the
server name is IPA master, it makes sense to look at the detailed logs
in /var/log/samba/log.*

These are three primary sources of logs.
2) Any docs or listing of specific AD permissions needed by the AD admin account used to establish the trust

AD is not my strong point - apologies if this is a dumb query!
See my other responses on this list in June, one of them was exactly
about it from Microsoft documentation point of view. I don't have a
reference handy.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer