Thanks a lot Alexander

Strange, I am almost sure I got no results earlier if I used uid=*xxxx*
searches
Users are perfectly found now.... both fully-qualified and wither other
queries.

Honestly, it's a bit a missing feature (for my use cases!) that RFC2307bis
draft 02 presentation is missing for AD users,
on the other side it is a very nice accomplishment that both RFC2307 in
compat and RFC2307bis in cn=accounts are available in FreeIPA.
Its a perfect platform for Linux and suitable for Unix....Because IMO LDAP
always has been a bit too complicated for system auth ;-)

$ ldapsearch -Y GSSAPI -b cn=compat,dc=accnix,dc=infrabel,dc=be
'(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=*mcj*))'
SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
SASL username: ad...@accnix.infrabel.be
SASL SSF: 56
SASL data security layer installed.
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <cn=compat,dc=accnix,dc=infrabel,dc=be> with scope subtree
# filter: (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=*mcj*))
# requesting: ALL
#

# mcj7...@accmsnet.railb.be, users, compat, accnix.infrabel.be
dn: uid=mcj7...@accmsnet.railb.be
,cn=users,cn=compat,dc=accnix,dc=infrabel,dc=
 be
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: ipaOverrideTarget
objectClass: top
gecos: x
cn: x
uidNumber: x
gidNumber: x
homeDirectory: /home/Accmsnet.railb.be/mcj7700
ipaAnchorUUID:: x
uid: mcj7...@accmsnet.railb.be

Thx a lot!
-- Pieter