> On 23 Aug 2018, at 17:36, Kat via FreeIPA-users
> <freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all -
>
> So this is something I found and wanted to post it to the team - this is for
> RHEL and/or CentOS 7.3 thru 5 so far. It has to do with selinux_provider and
> having to explicitly disable it in sssd or things will randomly fail.
>
> On heavily loaded clients, (and a fair load on IPA cluster) you find that
> even if a client has selinux disabled (sometimes because of application
> requirements) that ssh access is still randomly denied because of selinux
> failures. You need to explicitly add selinux_provider=none to sssd.conf to
> avoid seeing these:
>
> sshd[58319]: fatal: Access denied for user xxxxxxxx by PAM account
> configuration [preauth]
> sshd[58319]: pam_sss(sshd:account): Access denied for user xxxxxxxx: 4
> (System error)
>
> If you look in detail you find that the authentication actually works but
> when it is sent back to the client, there are random failures for the same
> username from time to time. It all seems to be load related, as I have been
> unable to find a root cause. An example is that I have a looping ssh job to
> just login, create a folder and exit - all via ssh keys. If you run that for
> a few hours with a few seconds interval, you find that out of 1000+
> successes, you might see 20-30 random "Access Denied".
>
> This was confusing at first because sshd only returns that the authentication
> failed without any details (return code is 255) but looking in detailed logs
> finds the random errors as show above. This all connects back with the errors
> I reported last week regarding the same thing and that I felt it was related
> to DNS and other settings - it was not.
>
> Hope this helps someone else..

Do you happen to have the selinux_child.log for those failures? There was a bug
where, if selinux called any of the NSS functions (e.g. getpwnam()) the user
lookup might have failed because we normally prevent parts of SSSD to call back
to sss_nss to avoid loops. This is a legit case, but we forgot to permit the
loops.