On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 02:18:28PM -0500, Rob Crittenden via FreeIPA-users
wrote:
> Ryan Slominski via FreeIPA-users wrote:
> > What is the recommended way to handle a local user in an IPA group?
> >
> > For example, I have the standard local user "apache" that I'd like to add
> > to an IPA group.  I don't really want to add an "apache" user to IPA as it
> > isn't really a regular user.  Similarly, I don't want to create a local
> > group of the same name and membership as the group in IPA.  NIS seems to
> > allow groups that reference local users.  Can IPA?
> >
> > An IPA User in a local group is a similar problem, what is the solution
> > there?
>
> https://pagure.io/SSSD/sssd/issue/3642

Yes, but this ticket only poses a problem if nsswitch.conf is configured
to use sss before files (which is the default on F-26+ and RHEL-8).

If you revert to "files sss", then you can use:
    https://sgallagh.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/remote-group-merging-for-fedora/
by creating a group with the same name and GID both locally and in the
IPA directory, then the contents should be merged.