We are using FreeIPA Debian clients, been using snapshots or sid packages for
that since it is very nicely constrained wrt dependencies.
Using our IoC/configuration management/orchestration tooling we simply push a
number of packages to the clients and install them and their in-repo
dependencies.

From an older log (few years old?) we seem to mostly push:

freeipa-client_4.4.4-3_amd64.deb
freeipa-common_4.4.4-3_all.deb
libipa-hbac0_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb
libsss-idmap0_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb
python-ipaclient_4.4.4-3_all.deb
python-ipalib_4.4.4-3_all.deb
python-libipa-hbac_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb
python-sss_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb
sssd-ad-common_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb
sssd-ad_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb
sssd-common_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb
sssd-ipa_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb
sssd-krb5-common_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb
sssd-krb5_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb
sssd-ldap_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb
sssd-proxy_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb
sssd_1.15.2-1_amd64.deb

and then auto upgrade from then on.

We have the luxury of running most systems immutable (changes in RAM) or
re-spin the VMs (and thus deregister/re-enroll) them constantly via CI/CD,
so that mitigates a small amount of security issues with this method as there
is no persistence on the machines.

We enroll automatically and remove hosts via the API that are no longer in our
VM inventory.

A newer/more secure setup should be feasible using recent packages etc. but I
haven’t had this as my main track in Ops projects for a few months.
As far as I know, we have had zero incidents and it’s been running stable for
years, including upgrades and replacing masters with newer versions.

John