Rob,

Thanks for your response, it was very helpful!

A monitoring tool would be great, I should say that I am sleeping better
because I'm getting to the point where I can at least back-out things when
there's that kind of failure.

It sounds like the level of caution that I've applied to this is
appropriate.  I was reading a blog post
<https://fy.blackhats.net.au/blog/html/2018/12/21/identity_ideas.html>
yesterday from William Brown that to some extent confirms what you'd said -
and my experience.

It's really helpful to hear, and I appreciate the assist.  I hope I can get
to the point where I have something to contribute to this project.

One more thing: I think I've figured out the series (or, perhaps "a"
series) of events that got me into this situation.  It appears that
initially on client installation for some reason, I would receive errors
indicating that there was a problem with the OpenLDAP configuration and it
failed because it could not update the /etc/openldap/ldap.conf file.  My
base installation doesn't have such a file, and previous installations of
clients may or may not have hit the same issue but it was never a problem
for us.  I created /etc/openldap/ldap.conf with a single "#" line, re-spun
the server and installed the client and ipa-replica-install - and
everything is working as expected now.

Again, many thanks!