I am trying to script the creation of a bunch of host certificates.

Unlike the web UI, the CLI seems to require two separate steps to do
this.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

After I generate a key and CSR, I create a certificate with
'ipa cert-request'.  I am using host/${HOSTNAME}@${REALM} as the
principal, and I am saving the certificate with the --certificate-out
option.

Now I apparently need to use 'ipa host-add-cert' to add the certificate
to the host, but this requires that the certificate be passed in base64
format on the command line.  I'm sure I can figure out how to do this
with some combination of sed, tr, etc., but this seems excessively
painful.  Is there really not a way to do this in a single step or feed
a PEM-encoded certificate to 'ipa host-add-cert'?