Has anyone out there successfully set up Puppet to use FreeIPA as an LDAP
provider for user resources ?

I found
https://www.freeipa.org/page/HowTo/LDAP
which says:
This use also has no special rights and is unable to write any data in the IPA
LDAP server, only read.

but this page
https://puppet.com/docs/puppet/6.7/types/user.html#user-provider-ldap
says:
User management via LDAP:  This provider requires that you have valid values
for all of the LDAP-related settings in puppet.conf, including ldapbase. You
will almost definitely need settings for ldapuser and ldappassword in order for
your clients to write to LDAP.

Thus my dilemma.  Can I make the IPA "service account" read-write or can Puppet
live with read-only ?