Thanks much! I just tried this and sure enough everything came alive and
started working as soon as I changed the scheme to what Louis posted in his
first post.

The only other thing that I will note is that the Dell EMC seems to hard code
what is entered for the REALM as the SPN (Service Principle Name). So for
example I wanted to put this machine as ds1.la.example....@ny.example.com,
however when I type in the host name it automatically put the machine as
ds1.ny.example....@ny.example.com with no way to change it. If I changed what I
typed into the REALM, it changed the SPN, but obviously that’s not correct.

I had the hosts name in my FreeIPA system as I intended, not as the Dell EMC
forces on you, so it wouldn’t authentic correctly. As soon as I changed the
machine to what Dell EMC puts as the SPN (it’s a grey box that you cant
change), it started working.

Also thank you Alexander for the information on the differences in the 389 DS
deployment variants and the explanation on how to get that information.

This seems to be fixed now! Thanks again.

-Kevin