On 3/11/20 5:01 PM, Alexander Petrenz via FreeIPA-users wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to FreeIPA and I have a conceptual question.

I have an existing PKI-Infrastructure with one root CA and three derived
Sub-CAs.
Now I want to change the PKI-Management to FreeIPA without replacing the
already existing Sub-CAs.

My first question is: Is it possible to have more then one external CAs (by the
installation with "external-ca") in FreeIPA? The goal is to import the three
existing external Sub-CAs with their keys in FreeIPA. I have found various sources from
around 2015 that such a feature will be implemented later but I didn't found any
information if it is implemented yet - or not.
Furthermore I don't want to import the root CA with its key into FreeIPA. As
far I understood this would be a security benefit if the ipa server would be
compromised. If that idea is wrong, I would be happy to get some advice on this.

Hi,
when the command ipa-server-install --exernal-ca is used, it means that IPA will also host a CA service with its own cert, but that cert is signed by a single external CA. So no, it's not possible to have multiple external CA signing IPA CA. The chain is External CA > IPA CA.

On the other hand, you may want to install other external CA certs in IPA using ipa-cacert-manage install / ipa-certupdate. With this command the CA certs are appended to the trusted CAs and the clients will also download and install them in their trust stores.

In all the cases, the external CA and subCA keys won't be imported into IPA, only the public certificates.

Hope this clarifies,
flo

Thanks
Alexander