Robert Kudyba wrote:

>     > Now any idea why the original  '$gecos' inserts the actual string
>     $gecos
>     > into FreeIPA/LDAP?
>
>     It's a shell issue, single quotes prevents any argument expansion, use
>     double quotes.
>

> Sure but using just double quotes $gecos is still added to the FreeIPA
> record. I can at least import it with "'$gecos'" but the script then
> imports the single quotes as a part of the record.

I assume you tried "$gecos"?

> We also noticed if a NIS user has a middle initial the script errors with:
> ipa: ERROR: command 'user_add' takes at most 1 argument

There should be a way to file a doc bug within the docs themselves.

The script was never meant to be bullet-proof. It was provided for
guidance purposes. There are *lots* of corner cases with names.

> So is there some escape character or something that works around this
> that isn't documented? I don't see anything withip help user-add
>

>     > Logs also spit out this warning after every user is added:
>
>     > Failed to set perms (3140) on file
>     (/run/ipa/ccaches/ad...@ourdomain.edu <mailto:ad...@ourdomain.edu>)!,
>

> I added a comment to issue
> 7032 https://pagure.io/freeipa/issue/7032#comment-713784 not sure if
> this is still a "won't fix" issue?

It's not won't fix, it's just extremely low in priority since it doesn't
affect operation.

rob