On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 07:26:52PM -0500, Rob Crittenden via FreeIPA-users
wrote:
> Yevhen Syvachenko via FreeIPA-users wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Pease help me to install FreeIPA that uses a 8192 bit key length for IPA RA
> > and the hosts' certificates.
> >
> > Having all the rumor about quantum computers and being a certified paranoid
> > I need to configure a backbone FreeIPA instance with CA key length equal to
> > 15360. Other keys should be no less than 8192 bits.
> >
> > The following approach does the trick for most certificates except IPA RA
> > and the hosts' certificates that are still 2048.
> >
> > # ipa-server-install --pki-config-override $PWD/pki_override.cfg
>
> These other certs are obtained via certmonger. If a key size isn't
> requested then certmonger uses the default, compiled-in size, of 2048.
>
> It would be straightforward to use ipa-getcert rekey to replace the
> Apache, LDAP and PKINIT certs. I'm not 100% sure about the RA cert.
> custodia handles distributing it to new CAs but I'm not entirely sure if
> anything manual is needed for it to recognize a new private key.

I haven't tested, but I think that post-install rekey of IPA RA
certificate *might* work.  But only if it is done before creating
any replicas.  Doing it after replicas have been created will be...
painful.

The only other option I see is to hack support for specifying key
size into ipalib/install/certmonger.py:request_cert (and related
subroutines).  Then you can hardcode the desired key size in
ipaserver/install/cainstance.py:__request_ra_certificate.

Ability to specify key sizes in certmonger.py would be a useful
change for FreeIPA.  Yevhen, if you are willing feel free to
implement this and submit a pull request.

Thanks,
Fraser