> As far as I underrstand, the vanilla installation of the freeipa
> server allows clients to communicate with the LDAP server with or
> without SSL.  We need to configure both, clients to always use
> SSL, and the server to reject non-SSL communication attempts.
> Where can I find the relevant documentation about setting this up,
> please?

You can set this option:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_directory_server/11/html/administration_guide/setting_a_minimum_strength_factor

But it breaks one or two things that may or may not be essential in your
environment, so you'll want to test carefully.

It also cannot prevent a misconfigured client from blurting out a password in
plaintext when performing a simple bind over port 389. Blame the flawed design
of the LDAP protocol for that. But at least you can prevent such a bind from
succeeding with:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_directory_server/11/html/administration_guide/configuring-special-binds#requiring-secure-binds

FreeIPA servers/clients need to be able to communicate IPA servers securely
without using TLS; GSSAPI is used for Kerberos-based integrity and
confidentiality over port 389. The CA component of FreeIPA is optional, after
all. :)

--
Sam Morris <https://robots.org.uk/>
PGP: rsa4096/CAAA AA1A CA69 A83A 892B 1855 D20B 4202 5CDA 27B9