Hello,

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 11:54:57AM -0400, Rob Crittenden via FreeIPA-users
wrote:
> IPA Listmail wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 11:33 AM Rob Crittenden <rcrit...@redhat.com
> > <mailto:rcrit...@redhat.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     I don't know why resetting the crl number would affect the set of
> >     revoked certificates.
> >

> > Sorry, that was unclear. I meant that whatever means of shrinking, even
> > the nuclear option of completely wiping the CRL and starting with a new
> > empty CRL would be workable, though obviously not optimal. I would
> > assume that such a drastic reset would likewise reset the CRL number and
> > I was trying to say that would be okay for my purposes.
>
> Adding list back.
>
> I'm not sure that resetting the number would have the effect you suggest
> as there would still be revoked certificates within their validity
> period. It also likely breaks an RFC by using duplicate CRL numbers.
>
> rob

Rob is correct - the CRL is built from the records of expired
certificates in the database.

Yes you can regenerate the CRL on demand via the Dogtag web API on
port 8443.  You'll need to authenticate using the admin certificate.
This operation is not exposed via FreeIPA interfaces and is not
support in IPA context (but it is possible).

Certificates will be removed from the CRL when their validity period
has passed (i.e. after expiry).

You can delete individual entries of expired certificates from the
LDAP database, erasing Dogtag's memory of them.  Then they will not
be included in the CRL.  This violates X.509, but it's a technical
solution.

Hope that helps,
Fraser