Hi,

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 10:44 PM Roberto Cornacchia via FreeIPA-users <
freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org> wrote:

> I'm adding a replica, with CA and DNS setup, to an existing server (also
> DNS and CA).
>
> First enrolled the server-to-be with ipa-client-install, then promoting it
> to replica with ipa-replica-install.
>
> With or without CA and DNs, I get:
>
> =======
> # ipa-replica-install
> Lookup failed: Preferred host ipa02.hq.spinque.com does not provide DNS.
> Trust is configured but no NetBIOS domain name found, setting it now.
> Enter the NetBIOS name for the IPA domain.
> Only up to 15 uppercase ASCII letters, digits and dashes are allowed.
> Example: EXAMPLE.
>

> NetBIOS domain name [HQ]:
> =======
>
> The system is a clean Rocky 9 install, we never had a single Windows
> machine, we never used AD-trust, on both ipa01 and ipa02 ipa trust-find
> returns 0 matches.
>
> Where is it getting this from, and how can I avoid it?

Starting with FreeIPA 4.9.8, the installers also configure SID generation
even if no trust is configured. For more information you can refer to the
design page:
https://freeipa.readthedocs.io/en/latest/designs/adtrust/sidconfig.html

This means that a NetBIOS name is assigned to each server, and a domain SID
assigned to IPA.
I agree with you that the message "*Trust is configured but no NetBIOS
domain name found, setting it now*" could be misleading and should be
replaced with "*No NetBIOS domain name found, setting it now*".
Nothing to worry on your side, you can simply accept the proposed value (or
enter a value).

Hope this clarifies,
flo