On 2022-11-17 14:55, Rob Crittenden via FreeIPA-users wrote:
Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay via FreeIPA-users wrote:

On 17 Nov 2022, at 10:15, Alexander Bokovoy <aboko...@redhat.com> wrote:

On to, 17 marras 2022, Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay via FreeIPA-users wrote:
Hi,

I try to find good documentation on SCEP and FreeIPA, but I cannot find something that seems updated nor conclusive.

Does FreeIPA support SCEP out of the box, or does it need some hacking to do so?

And does it support other types of certificate enrolment besides its own api/client?

Thanks a lot for a very explanatory answer as usual, Alexander.

It really depends on what you are asking for: FreeIPA as an integrated
CA or FreeIPA as a consumer of some other CA.

I was thinking more as FreeIPA and its own CA.

As a consumer of some other CAs, certmonger supports requesting
certificates through SCEP. See certmonger-scep-submit(8) man page and
/usr/share/doc/certmonger/scep.txt for details.

FreeIPA integrated CA does not support SCEP itself. Well, Dogtag PKI
does have support for SCEP responder but it is not configured by default
and is not supported in IPA frontend that does verification of the
request.

Yes, I guess that this is what some of the documents I’ve seen around say.

FreeIPA integrated CA supports ACME protocol (same as Let's Encrypt).
Would using ACME be a better option?

I was thinking of trying to use FreeIPA with some MDM solutions, and the one I am trying (Workspace ONE) does not support ACME, unfortunately.

I think the dogtag SCEP server might be difficult to use in automation.

It uses a flat authentication file consisting of the remote IP address
and PIN, probably making it difficult for mobile devices which don't use
static addresses. Creating some sort of middle-man service that updates
the file and returns the PIN to use would be a security target.

Thanks Rob. I think most people would use a proxy anyway since the PKI usually is on prep and secluded, while the clients can be anywhere - but I might be wrong.

Best,

Francis