hello people. -> this is already posted here, maybe check there for better
formatting?
https://www.reddit.com/r/FreeIPA/comments/yzcln7/broken_installation_how_to_migrate_it/

i broke my ipa installation on a centos 7 somehow... can't root cause it
anymore. but since i basically use only ldap i managed to have it running in a
crutch manner...

i run into two problems:

- when i try to uninstall & install same ipa on that vm (but snapshot clone)
then i get an error that it cant connect to ldapi:///var/run/slapd*sock -> i
gave up at some point.

- cant join new machines via ipa-client-install

- problem with kerberos keys i guess, see below.

anyway, i found exporting a backup, importing it on a rockylinux 9 does import
the same problems... so i am kinda lost and guess am seeking some help here...
at this point i start hating the fullfeatureset of ipa which brings lots of
complexity... anyways here we're....

dont be surprised about the date+timestamps, i got my shells PS settings that
way.

old system centos7 mgmt01:

root@mgmt01 14:29:28 ~$ kinit admin
Password for admin@REALM:
root@mgmt01 14:29:51 ~$ ipa user-find
 ERROR: No valid Negotiate header in server response
new system rocky9 mgmt02 after completely fresh install.

14:32:46-root@mgmt02:RC0:~ ↳ kinit admin
19.11.2022 14:32:48
Password for admin@REALM:
14:32:52-root@mgmt02:RC0:~ ↳ ipa user-find
19.11.2022 14:32:55
--------------1 user matched--------------
User login: admin
Last name: Administrator
Home directory: /home/admin
Login shell: /bin/bash
Principal alias: admin@REALM, root@REALM
UID: 1037800000
GID: 1037800000
Account disabled: False
----------------------------Number of entries returned
1----------------------------
i do export backup on mgmt01:

ipa-backup --data --online

on mgmt02:

go login to webinterface of new server, find default/empty user list

↳ ipa-restore --data --online --backend userRoot
/home/sshadmin/ipa-data-2022-11-18-19-40-45/
19.11.2022 14:48:14

Directory Manager (existing master) password:

Preparing restore from /home/sshadmin/ipa-data-2022-11-18-19-40-45/ on mgmt01
Performing DATA restore from DATA backup
Restoring data from a different release of IPA.
Data is version 4.6.8.
Server is running 4.9.8.
Continue to restore? [no]: yes
Temporary setting umask to 022
Restoring data will overwrite existing live data. Continue to restore? [no]: yes
Each master will individually need to be re-initialized or
re-created from this one. The replication agreements on
masters running IPA 3.1 or earlier will need to be manually
re-enabled. See the man page for details.
Disabling all replication.
Starting Directory Server
Restoring from userRoot in REALM
Waiting for LDIF to finish
Restoring umask to 18
The ipa-restore command was successful
↳ ipa user-find ->

can find users

↳ refresh website ->

i can see my ldap users.

↳ logout of website, relogin with admin user gives me:

Login failed due to an unknown reason (same on old system)

↳ reboot and ipa user-find will give me this one:

ipa: ERROR: No valid Negotiate header in server response

At this point again i cant join new machines to the new server via
ipa-client-install

I am pretty lost.

I also tried exporting ldap data with db2ldif -> and added to new server with
ldapmodify -ac -f ldiffile and seeeeem to run into pretty similar issues.

luckily i can read the ldif file and connect to old and new server with apache
studio, that might help in more manual efforts to restore the service.

I tried something else now...

I've exported LDIFs from cn=groups,cn=accounts and cn=users,cn=accounts
seperately.

Tried to import groups first (did work).

Tried to import users then -> only a feeeew users are imported in the end. must
of them are declined with this error:

#!ERROR [LDAP result code 53 - unwillingToPerform] Managed Entry Plugin
rejected add operation (see errors log).

i have no damn clue...

Nov 19 16:59:37 mgmt.doma.in ns-slapd[1257]: [19/Nov/2022:16:59:37.145273724
+0100] - ERR - managed-entries-plugin - mep_add_managed_entry - Unable to add
pointer to managed entry "cn=user,cn=groups,cn=accounts,dc=doma,dc=in" in
origin entry "uid=user,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=doma,dc=in" (Type or value
exists).