I know this is probably stupid but we have a server with a local account (let’s
call this local user “user1”). This server and its install predated our IPA
install. This local user also has sudoers exception for this account for a
“NOPASSWD” locally on this machine and this machine alone.

After some period of time (it’s been like this for years), we added this
“user1” account to FreeIPA so we could use it on other select machine. We kept
using the local account as if nothing changed.

This server with the local “user1” account was on Ubuntu 18.04 and with this
set up was working fine. We upgraded it to Ubuntu 20.04 and it broke the
sudoers “NOPASSWD”. This local account can no longer execute commands without a
password as it seems sssd is overriding the “local account” and going back to
IPA and asking for its authentication (user1 on this box is local and has a uid
of 1000, the freeipa user1 had the random freeIPA generated 123456789 UID).

In my nsswitch.conf

For passwd, group, sudoers all of them have “files” listed first which should
instruct sssd to prioritize local account information first, correct?

If I remove “sss” from the nsswitch sudoers line it works as expected.

Is this a regression in sssd or something else Im missing?

-Kevin