Thanks Rafael.

I was hoping to do it in place if at all possible because where things get
complicated is the 4.5.4 server is also the internal DNS server that
everyone utilizes (we have multiple but people just use the 1 mainly). It
really was their "main" server. I added the other two replicas a few years
ago to make sure we had something. They contacted me and wanted help to
upgrade everything so here I am. Making any modifications to it will
probably make everything go heywire (or at least break DNS for everyone).
That is unless I get it back immediately by

1. adding a 4th server
2. promoting the 4th server to master
3. decommission the 4.5.4 server
4. reassign the 4th server the same IP as the old 4.5.4 server?
5. upgrade rest of servers

Any thoughts? recommendations?