To make a long story short, we tried that command and it sort of appeared to
work but ultimately failed when running the health check.  Knowing to focus on
topology was crucial in resolving things.  There were several other commands we
tried as well but just couldn't get things back in sync for whatever reason.
Ultimately, we decided to remove the server altogether and rebuild it again.
This allowed replication to work as needed once we had all the proper roles
installed.  Both servers are healthy and replicating properly!  :)  Thank you
all for your help.