Hello FreeIPA-Users mailing list,

Appreciate the hard work put into building FreeIPA.  I have a bit of a dilemma.
On three separate isolated identical network environments, I have a cluster of
FreeIPA servers running on CentOS 7 (FreeIPA Server 4.6.8-5). Replication is
broken on all three environments - errors in the Dirsrv log indicate
communication timeouts, and inability for the replicas to authenticate their
Kerberos tickets. All machines have a 15 minute kerberos timeout set in
krb5.conf due to security requirements. The environments have consistent NTP
time off of the network equipment with drift between sites measured less than 5
seconds.

Trying to manually force-sync does not work - the replication just times out.
Eventually user entry changes replicate across the 3 isolated domains, but only
on the servers that are on the same layer 2 network. To rule out network
security blocking the replication traffic I disabled switch ACLs and VM
firewalls temporarily - no change on the broken replicas. On one of the three
networks, I rebuilt the malfunctioning replicas from scratch - same hardening
baseline. The new instances of IPA were not able to replicate to the original
primary server, but they do pull in all of the domain information on first
setup. I then tried making a totally new IPA server on the same baseline with a
new host name not seen in the domain before - this works perfectly. One of my
colleagues who maintains a separate IPA cluster stated that he was unable to
reuse replica host names when he rebuilt replica systems on Rocky 8 and RHEL8.

Short questions:

- Can an IPA Server have its krb5.conf Kerberos session timeout set as low as
15 minutes? Or do I need to keep this higher?
- If I can't get force-sync to work, and I can't use re-initialize either, is
the only route to rebuild the replica?
- Can host names of IPA servers be reused on rebuild? If so, what needs to be
cleaned out of the domain? I did make sure the old instance of a replica was
wiped from DNS, CA, and Replication agreements after the ipa-replica-manage
del.
- Are there known settings in the DISA STIG for RHEL7 or the CIS Level2
hardening benchmark that break IPA functionality post-install?
- What would be the best replication topology for an environment of 3 IPA
servers in 2 locations, and 2 IPA servers in a third location? Network latency
between locations is sub-10ms and very consistent.

If you need log entries I can provide general error messages but not the whole
log.

Thank you very much for any pointers/advice.