Hi,

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 10:53 AM Alper AYKUT via FreeIPA-users <
freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org> wrote:

> When I create a user with free ipa using ipa tools, I can automount my
> home directory on my nfs server without any problem.
>
> However, when I want to create a user from the free ipa web interface, I
> can create the user without any problem.
>
> But when I want to connect from a client I get the following error message
>
> As stated in the blog, if I create a user as follows
>
> *ipa user-add --first  ldapuser01 --last ldapuser01 --password
> --shell=/bin/bash*
>
> No matter which server I log in from with my user, it always maps to my
> nfs automount home directory and my server.
>
> But if I create a user via Free ipa my goal is to manage the operations
> related to the users via free ipa web in order to make it easier. This time
> the user is created. But I get the following error.
>

> *could not chdir to home directory /home/ldapuser01: No such file or
> directory*
>

> */usr/bin/xauth: error in locking authority file
> /home/ldapuser01/.Xauthority-bash-4.2$ ls*
>
> When I create a user from the Free ipa web interface, the login shell part
> is " /bin/sh/ so could it be that it does not create my user directory?
> When I create a user from the command prompt using ipa toos, the login
> shell part of the user says /bin/bash.

When you use the WebUI to create a user, you can also edit the login shell.
Simply navigate to the User page and change the field "Home directory".

> How can I create login shell default bin/bash when user is created from
> free ipa web interface?

You can also configure the default shell. With the WebUI: navigate to IPA
Server > Configuration and set "Default shell". With the CLI, ipa
config-mod --defaultshell=STR

This will set the user shell for new users, unless the value is overriden
with ipa user-add ... --shell=STR.

HTH,
flo