On non-IPA clients I'm using AllowUsers/AllowGroups to restrict which local users are able to SSH into a system.

On IPA clients I am using HBAC to control the same for IPA users. But what's the best way to control which local users can SSH in to an IPA client?

It looks like I could modify the ipausers group to be a POSIX group, and then put 'AllowGroups ipausers' into sshd_config. That way all local users would be denied, and all IPA suers would be allowed, with pam_sss.so later controlling access based on HBAC.

Alternatively modifying PAM services to use pam_access.so and/or to remove pam_localuser.so could work, but that seems a lot more complicated, since the system-auth PAM config is managed by authselect, and is included by all sorts of other services...

Are there any better alternatives?

Hm, now that I think about it, I'd like to be doing this for cockpit as well. I suppose pam_wheel or pam_succeed_if can be used in /etc/pam.d/cockpit, together with a POSIX ipausers group for this purpose.

--
Sam Morris <https://robots.org.uk/>
PGP: rsa4096/CAAA AA1A CA69 A83A 892B  1855 D20B 4202 5CDA 27B9