Rob has helped me resolve this.
Essentially, this was the issue.
The machine was a domain controller first and I installed the CA utilities
(much) later.

When I created the server as an Enterprise CA, it apparently created two
certificate authorities (which may be the wrong verbage, but unfortunately my
knowledge of SSL is rather limited) - one for DC1 and one for DC1-CA.

What the documentation had me leading to believe was that the DC1 CA cert would
be what I needed for the sync process to work. What Rob helped me discover was
that it needed the DC1-CA cert.

Once I tracked down that certificate (which Microsoft doesn't make easy to do)
and exported it, I was able to install it as part of the IPA Server
ipa-replica-manage process and the user accounts have replicated.

Now, if I can find a "nice" GUI for adding the synchronized user accounts to
groups which only exist on the IPA Server side, I will be a very, very happy
camper.

----

Jeff Moody
Senior Systems Engineer