On 10/06/2009 10:36 AM, garyv wrote:
Hi,

I've installed freeIPA (ipa-server-1.2.2-1.fc11.i586)and have the base functionality working and I'm quite pleased.

The problem I'm experiencing is with getting slapi-nis to function properly.

Reading other posts in the list I was able to get FreeIPA to serve NIS maps, and clients to bind to the NIS dom, but no passwords/auth work for users.

Any tips on setup/troubleshooting this?
I haven't do any ipa-nis configuration for a while, here is my old notes, they might still work

   * NIS client host set up in general

This is what RHEL linux should follow. <http://rome.sjc.redhat.com/mediawiki/index.php/IPA_NIS_plugin_test_plan#NIS_Configuration_Guide>

  1. Append the following line in the */etc/sysconfig/network* file:
         * NISDOMAIN=mynisdomain
  2. Append the following line in */etc/yp.conf* :
         * domain mynisdomain server 192.168.0.1 replace ip to the IPA
           server IP
  3. Make sure the following lines contain 'nis' as an option in the
     file */etc/nsswitch.conf*
         * passwd: files nis
         * shadow: files nis
         * group: files nis
         * hosts: files nis dns
         * networks: files nis
         * protocols: files nis
         * publickey: nisplus
         * automount: files nis
         * netgroup: files nis
         * aliases: files nisplus
  4. restart ypbind and portmap
         * */etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind restart*
         * */etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap restart*

Thanks

Gary

on the Client:
r...@fell:~$ ypcat -k passwd
ttest ttest:*:1102:1002:Tim  Test:/home/ttest:/bin/bash

r...@fell:~$ ypwhich  -m
passwd.byuid fcds.edited
passwd.byname fcds.edited
netid.byname fcds.edited