Jason Gerard DeRose wrote:
On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 17:56 -0400, Dan Scott wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to integrate FreeIPA with a Java webapp using JAAS. I have
the login module configured properly and it is working fine.

However, I have a problem with the initial user setup. New accounts
are created with expired passwords for good reason. However, I would
like a way to for a user to change their expired kerberos password
which does not use the command line. e.g. an SSL web form.

On searching the web, there does not appear to be a (free) java
library which implements the same functionality as ipa-passwd, kinit
or ssh for changing expired passwords. Does anyone know if such a
thing exists? The IPA documentation indicates that ssh has an option
'challenge-response' for changing expired passwords. I would like the
same functionality on a web page.

Yes, you raise a good point and we obviously need a way to do this via
the web UI.

Rob, if a user's password is expired, how does the password change work?
Does the user still do a Kerberos auth with the old password, or do we
need a non-Kerberos protected web page through which to update the
password?

Either way, this will be a simple thing to add to the UI.

As Sumit said, the self-service page currently requires kerberos so you'd have to get a TGT first which means you need a valid password.

This may not be too difficult to do in a web form (SSL protected, of course). You should be able to create a non-kerberos auth page that prompts for username, old and new password and a submit button. You could pass this onto a a simple backend that does an LDAP bind as the user with the old password then use ldap_passwd() to set the new password.

Assuming that this is true (which I find very hard to believe), then I
can think of 3 possible solutions:

1. Attempt to execute the system commands from within Java (Yuck -
quite apart from the difficulties of escaping the arguments, the
password will be displayed in the system process list while the
command is being executed).
2. Use XMLRPC. Although this introduces another whole layer into the
system, this might be the best way to go.
3. Update the users password expiry in the LDAP directory to (say) 1
day in the future so that they can login.

I am currently looking at the XMLRPC route. However, no matter what
request I send to the server, I receive 'XmlRpcException:HTTP server
returned unexpected status: Authorization Required'. Do I need to
store the details of the failed login so that I can authorize my RPC?

Ah, you've raised an important question that we currently don't have
documented, AFAIK.  Your XML-RPC client will have to set the
'Authorization' header for the Kerberos negotiation.  But as some
clients might not allow you to set the HTTP headers, we obviously need
other mechanisms, including using just a username/password.

One can set KrbMethodK5Passwd to on in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ipa.conf to allow it to fall back to username/password authentication. Still requires a non-expired password though.

Is there any documentation on the FreeIPA XMLRPC which I can read? I
have the API, but no more. I had to dig into the apache configuration
to find the domain path context (/xml/ipa).

Yes, just the API is documented, there aren't any programming examples other than the code itself AFAIK.

One thing you can do is add the -v option to the ipa command-line tools to see the XML-RPC request/response. That might help.

Right now the documentation is scarce, but we're currently working on
solidifying and formalizing the XML-RPC API and plan to document it in
detail once this is done.

Yeah, we'll have to see if we can get some sample requests into the v2 API docs.

Thanks for your interest in FreeIPA and we appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,

Dan Scott
http://danieljamesscott.org