Walter Meyer wrote:
I am testing out FreeIPA and am wondering if FreeIPA is compatible with the Google Apps password sync utility. Specifically my question in relation to FreeIPA is how the password attribute is stored in the DS? Is it in any of these Google Apps supported formats: MD5, SHA1, or Plain Text? If not can I change it to one of these, or is this a bad idea? Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with the Google Apps password sync utility, do you have any pointers describing how it works?

In general though IPA needs to receive password changes in cleartext so it can generate matching kerberos keys. We can currently accept password changes over LDAP and the kerberos password protocol. Setting a password using either of these methods keeps all passwords/keys in sync. This requires an encrypted channel using either SSL or SASL.