The bug outlines how to promote a replica to be the primary "master". You basically just need to import the CA and setup the serial number file.

So lets say you had a master and 2 replicas. In reality the only thing that differentiates the first master is that it was installed first so has the CA. As far as data replication goes there is no distinction, they are all equal.

Along these lines, does this mean if I have imported certificates signed by a third party CA on all my freeipa servers, that all I would need to do is update the replication agreements (in my case for freeIPA and AD)?