This is IPA v1.2 I gather? Try looking in /var/log/ipa_error.log, that is the UI log.

In V1 we use TurboGears to create the UI pages. Apache handles the authentication using mod_auth_kerb and once the user is authenticated mod_proxy sends the request to the TurboGears process (ipa_webgui). Perhaps the TurboGears process died or is otherwise some sort of bad shape.

yes - its on 1.2.2. Seemingly it was a gears issue. There was nothing in ipa_error.log but restarting the gui component brought it back

many thanks

tom