Dmitri Pal on 10/22/2010 03:18 PM wrote:
It is domain controller in itself. It is more targeted for UNIX/Lunix
environments for now. It would replace your DS  with DS + Kerberos.
In future it will replace Samba part too as a DC for Windows client - it
will reuse samba code not a different implementation rahter different
packaging and better integration with Linux portion.

If you are talking about IPA v1 there is not much value for you other
than Kerberos but I assume you use Samba 4 as DC and have it as a
Kerberos KDC, right?

Ah... I get it now. I'm actually using Samba 3 as I wasn't sure how stable Samba 4 would be.

If you talk about v2 that we have in alphas then there is also better
integration and management of hosts, host based access control with
SSSD, netgroups, automounts etc. But it has not beed released yet.
You can try one of the daily builds if you want.

The majority of clients are Windows, so having the other options aren't that necessary.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eye on the project, but I don't think I need to make the switch just yet.