On 05/01/2011 08:49 AM, nasir nasir wrote:
Thanks for all the replies and great suggestions! I do appreciate it a lot.

Apologies for being a bit confusing about the cetralized /home foder in my previous mail. What I want is that all the users should have their /home folder stored in the storage. This entire partition (or LUN) can be attached to my Authentication server(i.e FreeIPA) by using iSCSI. From the Authentication server, I am NOT looking for iSCSI to get it mounted to the individual users' machine. I think NFS/automount would do that(appreciate any suggestion on this !) And whenever a new user is created, /home should be allocated out of this partition so that whichever machine the user is using to login later, she should be able to access the same /home specific to her regardless of the machine. I hope it is clear to all :-)

Thanks and regards,
Nidal

    >     -- Centralized storage with iSCSI for /home folder for each
    user by means of a dedicated storage
    IPA manages Automount, which is possibly what you want.  Are you
    going to give each user their own partition that follows them
    around, or are you going to give the a home directory on a a NAS
    server?  I Have to admit, the iSCSI home mount sounds
    interesting.  You could probably get automount to help you out
    there, but at this point I think that you would need a separate
    key line for each user.

    Note that iSCSI won't help you if you want to mount the same
    partition on multiple clients.  For this, you either need a
    distributed File System, or stick to NFS.

Nidal,

OK, I'd probably do something like this: After install IPA, add one host as an IPA client with the following switch: --mkhomedir,, something like ipa-client-install --mkhomedir -p admin. Then, mount the directory that you are going to use a /home on that machine. Once you create users in IPA, the first time you log in as that user, do so from that client, and it will attempt to create the home directory for you. This should be the only machine that has permissions to create directories under /home. Now, create an automount location and map, and create a key for /home

The instructions from our test day should get you started:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_freeipav2_automount