On 05/16/2011 03:41 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
On 05/14/2011 10:46 AM, Sigbjorn Lie wrote:
I've noticed that if the machine running IPA is very busy at startup,
the IPA services will not be online when the machine is started.

I noticed this is as my test virtualization host has had it's power
cord knocked out a few times. When I restart the host machine, all the
virtual machines is started at the same time, causing (a lot) higher
than normal latency for each virtual machine.

This causes the IPA daemons to start, while during the startup one or
several IPA daemons fails due to dependencies of other daemons which
is not started yet, and all the IPA daemons is stopped as not all the
IPA daemons started successfully. I've noticed that the default
behavior of the ipactl command is to shut down all the IPA daemons, if
any of the IPA daemons should fail during startup.

This can be seen in the logs of the individual services, as some is
started successfully, just to receive a shutdown signal shortly after.
It seem to be the pki-ca which shut down my IPA services this morning.

When rebooting the virtual machine running the IPA daemons during
normal load of the host machine, all the IPA daemons start
successfully. Logging on to the IPA server and manually starting the
IPA daemons after the load of the host machine has decreased also works.

I suggest changing the startup scripts to allow (a lot) longer startup
times for the IPA daemons prior to failing them.

F15 introduced new way to start daemons and define dependencies.
We have in our plans to port IPA to use systemd in F16. This will have
implications on the architecture of the service startup in general and
most likely will affect the current way of starting services too.

This was RHEL 6.1beta I tested at. I presume it will be some time before systemd will make it's way into RHEL? What can be done in the meantime for IPA in RHEL?

Rgds,
Siggi