From: freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com [freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com] on
behalf of Stephen Gallagher [sgall...@redhat.com]
Sent: Monday, 23 May 2011 11:23 p.m.
To: freeipa-users@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] Why not unix UIDs (numbers and range)

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 04:42 +0000, Steven Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why doesnt IPA use std unix UIDs? and how does that translate into Unix
> permissions on a client if it does not?
>
> BTW neat install, under 10mins and its up!

FreeIPA does use standard UNIX UIDs and GIDs. By default, however,
they're generated automatically behind the scenes so that the
administrator doesn't need to manage them. FreeIPA does this so it can
ensure that there are no duplicate IDs in the system, which is a common
problem in unmanaged LDAP environments.

On the various client machines, you can see that the users have UIDs and
GIDs by performing 'getent passwd <username>'.