That used to be true, but it's been a lot higher for some time now. Linux has had 32-bit integers for UID/GID since Linux kernel 2.4, and Solaris has had the same since Solaris 2.5.1.

I can't speak for other *nix flavours.

Rgds,
Siggi.

On 05/23/2011 11:09 PM, Steven Jones wrote:
um so I thought there was a 65k limit?

I have way more numerals than that.

Also I need to pick up that UID from somewhere as its part of a users identify
in the identity managment system we have....how would I go about sucking that
out of IPA after the account is provisioned?

regards

Steven
From: freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com [freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com] on
behalf of Stephen Gallagher [sgall...@redhat.com]
Sent: Monday, 23 May 2011 11:23 p.m.
To: freeipa-users@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] Why not unix UIDs (numbers and range)

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 04:42 +0000, Steven Jones wrote:
Hi,

Why doesnt IPA use std unix UIDs? and how does that translate into Unix
permissions on a client if it does not?

BTW neat install, under 10mins and its up!

FreeIPA does use standard UNIX UIDs and GIDs. By default, however,
they're generated automatically behind the scenes so that the
administrator doesn't need to manage them. FreeIPA does this so it can
ensure that there are no duplicate IDs in the system, which is a common
problem in unmanaged LDAP environments.

On the various client machines, you can see that the users have UIDs and
GIDs by performing 'getent passwd<username>'.