On 05/23/2011 05:09 PM, Steven Jones wrote:
> um so I thought there was a 65k limit?

The UID is at least 32 bit on the modern systems as far as I recall and
has been this way for quite some time.

> I have way more numerals than that.
>
> Also I need to pick up that UID from somewhere as its part of a users
> identify in the identity managment system we have....how would I go about
> sucking that out of IPA after the account is provisioned?

you can get user info via CLI or LDAP.

But you can also provide yours as explicit arguments to user creation.
If you do the entry will be created with the UID and GID you want though
you would have to make sure there is no duplication yourself.

We have couple tickets that will help with detection and explanation of
this situation.
https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/1183 (doc)

> regards
>
> Steven