Hello

> You might be confused with this feature. This password is used with
ipa-client auto enroll so that one can join a client into the IPA domain.
The OTP is used for the authentication in this scenario.
> In your case you are not using the client so OTP is irrelevant.
> We do not test Win 7 hosts as clients but we know that in the past some
people had success with such configuration.

> First please search archives as there was an earlier attempt with
freeipa 2.0 earlier this year. As I recall it was successful. And earlier
attempt with 1.x was covered here:
> ht
tp://freeipa.org/page/Implementing_FreeIPA_in_a_mixed_Environment_%28Windows/Linux%29_-_Step_by_step

The steps described in my mail where exactly the steps documented in the
link above where its written under "Configuring Windows Client":
------------------
3. On the IPA Server add the host principal and set the password for the
xp client.
ksetup /setmachpassword <password> (the same password you have set in IPA
server)
------------------

So this confuses me a lot more. Specially because the description in the
discussed document just doesn't work. And, sorry to say that, it also says
exactly the converse of what You wrote in Your mail.
Also specially. When I use ipa-getkeytab as described in the document:

 ipa-getkeytab -s ds.example.com  -p host/bmdata01.example.com -e
des-cbc-crc -k krb5.keytab.txt -P

I only get "SASL Bind failed!".  So I only can create the host principal
in the web interface. Then there is a kind of missing link between the
exported keytab and what to do with it on the windows client.

I wrote my mail only because I couldn't find any solution while googleing
for it and also read the freeipa archives. The only thread I found in the
archives regarding to Windows 7 and Freeipa was:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2011-February/msg00039.html

About the same question and ended in question from Simo about the
installed krb5-package.  I know its annoying with this windows questions
but the most of us have to deal with mixed environments. Also Redhat has
to deal with such environments for RHEV manager requires server 2008r2 and
active directory (We currently make also a pilot for a larger VDI
project). So it cannot be that this scenario (freeipa server and windows 7
clients) was never tested or documented

As we (at our side) cannot change the customers desktop from windows to
linux (cause there are already a lot of special applications which depends
on a windows desktop), but we can choose the serverplatform and we wan't
to have linux (specially rhel) as serverplatform and most  desirable:
freeipa as authentication and identity platform.  But this can only work
with a full integration of the windows clients into freeipa.

Sorry for the hard mail but as I and My colleagues what to have Linux and
opensource installed whenever possible, we face often the problem that the
developers cannot see the problems and needs of us engineers and
administrators in the front where where we deal with the heterogenous
environments of our customers.

So I hope somebody can post a final and working documentation about the
windows 7 integration into freeipa. We realy depend on this.

Regards

Roland

Von:    Dmitri Pal <d...@redhat.com>
An:     freeipa-users@redhat.com
Datum:  01.08.2011 14:39
Betreff:        Re: [Freeipa-users] Once Again: Freeipa and Windows 7
Gesendet von:   freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com

On 07/31/2011 04:44 AM, roland.kae...@intersoft-networks.ch wrote:
Hello

I'm trying again to setup a pilot freeipa infrastructure for linux/afs
servers and windows clients. So the first (and most hard) task is to join
a "windows 7" into freeipa/kerberos.
I already read the available documentation and setup my pilot client with
the following parameters:

ksetup /setdomain SAMPLE.CH
ksetup /SetRealm SAMPLE.CH
ksetup /AddKdc SAMPLE.CH freeipa.sample.ch
ksetup /AddKpasswd SAMPLE.CH freeipa.sample.ch
ksetup /SetComputerPassword MYPASSWORDHERE
ksetup /MapUser * *

Changed the available encryption types for kerberos in secpool.msc under
Local Policies/Security Options/Network Security/Network Security:
Configure encryption types allowed for Kerberos to:
DES_CBC_CRC,DES_CBC_MD5,RC4_HMAC_MD5,AES128_HMAC_SHA1,AES256_HMAC_SHA1,
Furter encryption types

Created a host principal in the freeipa webinterface and set the OTP to
MYPASSWORDHERE.

You might be confused with this feature. This password is used with
ipa-client auto enroll so that one can join a client into the IPA domain.
The OTP is used for the authentication in this scenario.
In your case you are not using the client so OTP is irrelevant.
We do not test Win 7 hosts as clients but we know that in the past some
people had success with such configuration.

First please search archives as there was an earlier attempt with freeipa
2.0 earlier this year. As I recall it was successful. And earlier attempt
with 1.x was covered here:
http://freeipa.org/page/Implementing_FreeIPA_in_a_mixed_Environment_%28Windows/Linux%29_-_Step_by_step

The clock of the windows 7 machine is synced with the ntpd of the freeipa
server.

When I try to login I get the usual password change request dialog on the
windows 7 client and the following krb5log entry:

    Jul 31 10:39:05 freeipa.sample.ch krb5kdc[6780](info): AS_REQ (7
etypes {18 17 23 3 1 24 -135}) 192.168.1.90: CLIENT KEY EXPIRED:
isn-rol...@sample.ch for krbtgt/sample...@sample.ch, Password has expired

When try to change the password I get only "The username or password is
wrong" with the following krb5log entries:

  Jul 31 10:39:43 freeipa.sample.ch krb5kdc[6780](info): AS_REQ (7 etypes
{18 17 23 3 1 24 -135}) 192.168.1.90: NEEDED_PREAUTH: isn-rol...@sample.ch
for kadmin/chang...@sample.ch, Additional pre-authentication required
   Jul 31 10:39:43 freeipa.sample.ch krb5kdc[6780](info): preauth
(timestamp) verify failure: Decrypt integrity check failed
   Jul 31 10:39:43 freeipa.sample.ch krb5kdc[6780](info): AS_REQ (7 etypes
{18 17 23 3 1 24 -135}) 192.168.1.90: PREAUTH_FAILED: isn-rol...@sample.ch
for kadmin/chang...@sample.ch, Decrypt integrity check failed
   Jul 31 10:39:43 freeipa.sample.ch krb5kdc[6780](info): preauth
(timestamp) verify failure: Decrypt integrity check failed
   Jul 31 10:39:43 freeipa.sample.ch krb5kdc[6780](info): AS_REQ (7 etypes
{18 17 23 3 1 24 -135}) 192.168.1.90: PREAUTH_FAILED: isn-rol...@sample.ch
for kadmin/chang...@sample.ch, Decrypt integrity check failed

After long googeling and long investigation, I can't see the issue behind
this problems.

Does someone has setup a similar environment and give me some advice to
get this up and running?

Regards

Roland

Thank you,