On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 22:58 +0000, Steven Jones wrote:
> VM?
>
> VMWare snapshot?
>
> VMWare snapshots are best described as spawn of the devil, they should
> have a life of 2 or 3 days max....

I use KVM so I can't tell how good/bad VMWare fares in this regard, but
I didn't mean VM snapshot, sorry if I was unclear.

I literally meant you turn off the VM and save a copy of the disk image.

It may not be the most efficient way of course, and you can also simply
use normal backup software with disaster recovery functionality.
As long as it is able to properly deal with dirsrv database it should be
fine.

> One of my next Qs was what else needs backing up....however I assumed
> that everything else outside the database is simple to back up.....its
> just "files"
>
> or is this not the case?

Everything but dirsrv databases is just files, that is correct.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York