On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Nalin Dahyabhai <na...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 05:19:44PM -0500, Boris Epstein wrote:
> >    Hello all,
> >
> >    I am using the FreeIPA to run NIS via a plugin. Works great - except
> >    that the ypserv port numbers end up different after every reboot. That
> >    makes it hard to run it with the firewall activated.
> >
> >    Does anybody know how to make those port number assignments permanent?
>
> There's no tooling specifically for doing this, but the plugin supports
> it.  In order to get it to use a fixed port, you'll need to edit the
> directory server entry for "cn=NIS Server, cn=plugins, cn=config" and
> add a "nsslapd-pluginarg0" value which contains the port number you'd
> like it to use.
>
> You can do this either by stopping the directory server, editing its
> dse.ldif file directly, and then restarting it, or by editing the entry
> "live" using ldapmodify and then restarting the server.  The latter
> method (I'm using port 541 here) looks something like this:
>
>  # ldapmodify -x -D "cn=Directory Manager" -W <<- EOF
>  dn: cn=NIS Server,cn=plugins,cn=config
>  changetype: modify
>  replace: nsslapd-pluginarg0
>  nsslapd-pluginarg0: 541
>  -
>
>  EOF
>  # ipactl restart
>
> You'll need to supply the Directory Manager password.  Once that's done,
> running "rpcinfo -p" on the server should show that the NIS service is
> listening on the desired port.
>
> HTH,
>
> Nalin

Nalin,

Thanks a lot for the tip. It definitely looks like this put me on the right
path though I am not quite there yet.

Doing what you suggested did not quite work. For one thing, the right cn is
"NIS", not "NIS Server". Another thing is, it does not look like the LDIF
files in question have the nsslapd-pluginarg0 parameter - or are happy with
it being added.

Do you happen to have a copy of your LDIF configuration file with the
relevant configuration by any chance? That could come in handy.

Cheers,

Boris.