On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Simo Sorce <s...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 11:11 -0500, Boris Epstein wrote:
> > Hello listmates,
> >

> > Apparently, in order to authenticate a Mac OS X Lion client to NIS one
> > needs passwords encrypted in MD5 hash shown in the passwd and
> > passwd.byname maps. FreeIPA at this point only shows a "*". Is there a
> > way to change that?
>
> No, we decided that one of the rules with FreeIPA was to never expose
> hashes to clients. Same reason why we do not export a shadow map for
> example.
>
> With Mac OS X you should be better off using just LDAP auth.

Simo, thanks!

Is there a decent manual on how to link up Mac OS X (specifically, V10.7,
"Lion") to a FreeIPA server as an LDAP client? I tried that - and just seem
to be getting nowhere as the Mac wouldn't even give me an error message (or
perhaps it is my fault for not knowing where to look but I am just lost
there).

Boris.